5 Reasons Probiotic Drinks Are Better Than Supplements
I am often asked what the difference is between probiotic drinks and foods, and probiotic capsules and powders. There are many differences and they include the following:
1. Probiotic drinks and foods are live and the bacteria is active. This means when it gets to your intestines it goes right to work. Pill and powder probiotics supplements take up to 6 hours to colonize in your intestines (if they even make it there).
2. Lactofermentation, such as the process used by Drink La Vie, creates lactic acid as a by-product of fermentation which means the bacterial culture is already living in an acidic environment. When it gets to the acidic environment of your stomach, it can pass through unscathed. Most probiotic supplements cannot survive the stomach acids.
3. With lactofermentation, the fermented foods retain their vitamins, minerals, enzymes and amino acids (since there is no heating involved). In fact, the bacteria makes the nutrients more available to your body so you get even more out of the fermented foods than if you simply ate them.
4. Bacteria need prebiotics to thrive. Prebiotics are plant fiber and are not included in probiotic capsules but are found in probiotic foods and drinks. Research has shown that to increase the levels of bacteria in your gut you need to have prebiotics as well as probiotics.
5. Drink La Vie uses 6 strains of bacteria to make our fermented drinks: Bifidobacterium bifidum, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus delbrueckii bulgaricus, Lactobacillus rhamnosus and Streptococcus thermophilus. Most supplements have only one or two strains of bacteria.
Probiotic drinks create a synergistic effect among the various ingredients. That means the various substances have a combined effect that is greater than the sum of their separate benefits. This synergy can only happen when your probiotics are alive in food or drink. Think about it for your overall health and Drink La Vie!